Jaskier (
licensetotrill) wrote in
cultor2026-07-01 05:33 pm
Entry tags:
CLOSED | But We Climbed So
Who: Jaskier (
licensetotrill) and Sharon (
merged)
What: Upon waking in the city once more, Jaskier seeks out Sharon to tell her of his meeting with One in the dream.
When: After waking from the collective dream in June.
Where: Around! Depends on where he finds her.
Warnings: Character specific warnings, will update as needed.
He finds himself in this city again - it looks different from when he was there last, but broadly the same. So alien to anything Jaskier is used to. It sounds like some fantastical story.
And now he needs to find someone. Multiple someones, but he can look for them at the same time, given he only has broad strokes of where to look.
The murmur seems... strange. Weaker? Or perhaps Jaskier is just out of practice. It's not long after his questions that he sets out. He should focus on seeing if his old haunts are still in one piece. If there's any food stashed away there. But his heart is far hungrier, and that's the one Jaskier has always been terrible at ignoring.
He has no tether to Sharon - none to anyone anymore. But he's not from a world with cellphones and GPS and status updates. This is how Jaskier is used to finding people - walking. Searching. Asking anyone he comes across if they've seen her recently, if they know where she is staying. Finding any old haunts she frequented when he was there last.
He'll find her or his other quarry, he's determined.
What: Upon waking in the city once more, Jaskier seeks out Sharon to tell her of his meeting with One in the dream.
When: After waking from the collective dream in June.
Where: Around! Depends on where he finds her.
Warnings: Character specific warnings, will update as needed.
He finds himself in this city again - it looks different from when he was there last, but broadly the same. So alien to anything Jaskier is used to. It sounds like some fantastical story.
And now he needs to find someone. Multiple someones, but he can look for them at the same time, given he only has broad strokes of where to look.
The murmur seems... strange. Weaker? Or perhaps Jaskier is just out of practice. It's not long after his questions that he sets out. He should focus on seeing if his old haunts are still in one piece. If there's any food stashed away there. But his heart is far hungrier, and that's the one Jaskier has always been terrible at ignoring.
He has no tether to Sharon - none to anyone anymore. But he's not from a world with cellphones and GPS and status updates. This is how Jaskier is used to finding people - walking. Searching. Asking anyone he comes across if they've seen her recently, if they know where she is staying. Finding any old haunts she frequented when he was there last.
He'll find her or his other quarry, he's determined.

no subject
"Shit, look who made it back." She tries to smile, but it never reaches her eyes, and she doesn't have the strength to force it. She's barely holding herself together.
no subject
He's real. He's here.
He looks different again, though. Still clearly the same type though it seems like some others Jaskier's dream self is the most dramatic version of what he could look like... maybe will eventually look like. Fully clothed, with boots on - all it looks like is the antlers, and even then those are the smaller ones of a yearling rather than the glorious rack of a fully mature adult. The scent of something musk and wild at the edges of his presence, but that could easily be carried from home. And always, his lute with him.
There's also what appears to be a deep burgundy cloth wrapped around his forehead as well as though an unstylish headband, though the bit of red dried and crusted under the edge suggests it's for another reason.
"Would you believe I'm glad for it? Truly?" Jaskier asks, voice soft.
no subject
He doesn't look quite the way he did in the dream. His antlers are smaller now, less imposing than before, but he might grow into them. Most Offerings change as time goes.
"I don't know, Jaskier. That sounds like something an insane man would say," she replies, her voice tight around the edges. Then again, she'd probably say the same thing if someone had torn her away from Manhattan. For all the grief it's brought her, she's met more people there who've loved her—and whom she's loved in return—than she had in her entire goddamn life.
She reaches up, her fingertips lightly brushing against the headband, eyes catching on the old crust of blood. "You okay?"
no subject
He still smiles a little at her gentle accusation of insanity. She's not wrong. But he also gets the sense that she understands what he means.
... Even if he has few people left here, too. If he can help, he'd rather be here to help.
There's only the slightest wince at her fingertips touching at the blood - not because of injury but rather how tightly it's stuck to skin now. His expression turns a little wry.
"It was not a peaceful time when I left my home this time. My companions and I were making an exit from a war camp when a fight broke out, and I didn't duck in time. I'm almost healed, and there's no infection."
As awful as Regis' way of phrasing that had been, it was a relief to know.
no subject
"You should get it looked at. I know you said it's almost healed, but almost isn't is." She frowns, unable to hide the concern in her voice. The last thing she wants is to watch an old injury become something worse in a city where she's seen fungus bloom from open wounds. Jaskier needs every advantage he can get if he's going to survive here, even if staying healthy won't stop whatever force keeps whisking him away. "Glad to hear it didn't take you out, though." A small smile tugs at the corner of her mouth. "That'd be a pretty shitty way for the bard to go out."
no subject
"It would be quite embarrassing, given all else I've lived through," Jaskier agrees with a wry smile. "Speaking of - I wanted to tell you. I found One in the dream before we woke. I'm... I'm going to see if I can find him again in the city. I wanted someone to know in case things go badly."
no subject
She knows she'd gotten painfully lucky when she confronted One herself. The air around him had been suffocating, thick with the sense that something fundamental was changing inside him, something dangerous. It could have gone so much worse than it did. But Jaskier's relationship with One is different from her own. She can only hope that makes every encounter less dangerous.
no subject
But could he really blame One for that assumption? Who had not seen people they loved in the dream only to wake and find them absent from this reality?
"I think I convinced him it was really me by the end. He told me he was afraid - of the darkness, the void within, but -- that even if he didn't face it, it seemed likely to kill him... I told him he had to be very brave then, and that I believed in him. I took his hand, too, and the darkness swallowed us both up. Then I awoke here."
But pointedly ... no worse for wear. Changed, certainly, but he had already been changed in the dream, before he met One. And his injury that he now sports came from home, not here. Swallowed by the black, but none seemed to linger on him.
"He would never bring me harm if it was his choice, I believe that. But I don't know if my being unaffected by that darkness was because it was in the dream or not. It's a risk."
no subject
The darkness swallowed him. She remembers Aven telling them the abomination in the dream had eaten One, and that was how the dream ended. Does the same thing happen to him every time? Does every dream end with him being consumed?
"You're right, it's a risk, even for you." Even for someone One clearly trusts, at least to some degree. "But I don't think he'll..." She pauses, trying to piece together what little she understands. "Not unless he gets too emotional. All right, just keep him calm. Pay attention to how hot it gets. Hotter means... badder. Uh..."
She reaches out and rests a hand on his arm, her expression turning earnest. "And please be careful. Back out if it feels wrong. You just got here, and I don't..." Her voice falters. "I really can't lose any more people right now."
no subject
He can't not go. Can't not look for One, even if there's a danger in finding him. Even so, his expression softens further at Sharon's request to take care.
"Ah... here I was going to say I'm the perfect one to go after him because there's hardly anyone who will miss me should something happen," he says, a sad smile on his face. He's got two tethers already - the joys of being easy - but they're fragile connections and for all Jaskier knows they won't last. No one to truly be left in a lurch should the worst occur. So he leans in and presses a light kiss to Sharon's forehead, more familial than romantic. "I'll not take any unnecessary risks. Because you asked."
no subject
She nods quickly, partially relieved. "Plus, I don't—I don't think One could handle accidentally hurting someone else. He's at the end of his rope."
The words come softly, her gaze dropping for a moment. As much as her own fears ache inside her, she knows that might matter even more. One carrying the weight of hurting someone else could be the thing that finally breaks him, and Sharon isn't sure he'd survive that kind of guilt. Or if they would.
no subject
If he's left in a lurch for it, well. It happens. He's not going to change who he is.
(He'd find a way to fuck up a connection that would like him just as much, if past history is a predictor of future outcomes.)
"That's a very astute point I hadn't considered," Jaskier admits. He's not even saying that to be nice - a fragile state One is in, he's already so upset for the hurt he's caused unintentionally. Adding more to it... He pats her arm, lets his hand rest there if she doesn't mind. "I'll be careful. Should the worst happen, I'll have to hope someone can tell him I would not blame him. But I will be careful."
π probably can wrap here!
And she means it. If he gets himself sent away or killed, she'll make him regret it. Somehow, someway, even if it's just because he broke her heart.